Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Looking at a Thing in a Bag...

I promised Chloe yesterday if she could be a good girl all day she could make ice cream last night. She was wonderful (not just for the ice cream, I think...) She played with Finn all day (so cute to see her "ride" him like a pony and he shrieked in joy!). I swear, these two love each other so much! He looks for her when he hears her voice. If the hall's open, he takes off, always to her room. Sometimes I'll find him just sitting there playing with
her.
After a good day, I helped her make make ice cream. We put the ingredients in the bags and shook it for 8 minutes. I was pleasantly surprised to actually have ice cream (or more like creamy ice milk) when it was over. Chloe thought it was great! Much cheaper than buying a gallon of ice cream and I know she got high quality ingredients. Next time, I"m going to try adding chocolate...

Plastic Bag Ice Cream (This recipe was a modification of a recipe I found online):
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp sugar (I think I"m going to use a little less next time, maybe 3/4 tbsp. It wasn't overly sweet, but still...)
1 cap full of Vanilla Extract (I think it's 1/2 tsp, but not positive. Just pour it in the cap and then pour it in)
3-4 cups ice
Salt
2 small Ziploc bags
1 large Ziploc freezer bag

Place 1 small bag inside a cup and fold the edges of the bag over the rim of the cup to make it easier to fill. Add the milk, sugar and vanilla to the bag. Squeeze the air out of the bag and seal it.
Place the sealed bag into a second zip bag, the same size as the first. Squeeze the air out of the second bag and seals it. The double bagging protects the ice cream in case one of the bags were to rip during mixing.
Fill a large freezer bag with ice. Pour in salt. (I used about 1/4 cup table salt. Don't use the Kosher or sea salt. It's a waste and the larger crystals will likely cut the bags).
Place the smaller bags into the larger bag. Squeeze the air out of the bag and seal it.
Place the sealed bag in side a dish towel. Shake, roll, twist and squeeze the bag for 7 to 8 minutes. When the times done, pull the small bag out of the larger bag. And serve. If you want more than one 1/2 cup serving, I recommend putting multiple baggies inside the larger one instead of making a larger batch. My thought is if you put more in you'll have to mix longer. So separate bags should freeze at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment