I have been couponing and entering blog giveaways for 6 months now (thank you Amanda :) ). I don't have a complete breakdown of my savings in that time, but last month I saved $372.31. So using that figure, I've saved $2233.86 since November. Not too shabby.
On top of the benefits of couponing, I've also reaped in the benefits of giveaways. I follow around 50 different blogs. When I say I follow them, I don't mean I go to each everyday. I subscribe to some with email and the rest are on Facebook. I check a couple a day, but don't spend more than about 20 to 30 minutes a day looking at them - unless I'm looking for specific deals. Well, on these sites I enter giveaways. Since November I have won around $400.00 in free stuff. Here's the rundown of my freebies:
- An envelop of about 50 coupons
- $50.00 GC to Dayspring (a motivational/spiritual online catalogue)
- $100.00 in Hasbaro Toys - A playdough fun factory, an infant ball toy w/ gears - Finn LOVES it, and a small monster truck
- $10.00 GC to Subway
- $25.00 Visa GC
- Dominoes Megablock Game (for Chloe)
- The Hungry Caterpillar Hardback Book and Hungry Caterpillar Zoobie (like a pillow pet, but inside there's a blanket that zips in and out of the Zoobie - Finn ADORES the Zoobie and the blanket!)
- A one year free membership to an online Cake "school". (A blog that trains you to make and decorate cakes - SUPER excited about this one. I love making cakes and this makes it seem like I can do the "hard" stuff
- And most recently (today in fact) a $75.00 Gift Pack from HappyBaby (oraganic baby food products): includes a tote, bib, baby shirt, Dr. Sears book on nutrion, 3 canisters of baby cereal, 3 canisters of Baby Snacks (puffs). 2 Canisters Baby Snacks (wheels), 10 Pouches baby food - This one has me REALLY excited - Lots of free baby food - with the baby food I already have and the 5 coupons for Happy Baby products (FREE), I shouldn't have to buy baby food or baby snacks again. Now, just to get through the next 3-1/2 months and I'll be done with formula!
So, the moral of this story is: Enter giveaways! If you want a list of blogs that have good giveaways with good odds, let me know. I'm happy to share! Some have higher entries than others, so I pick and choose the ones I enter. Today, I entered 15 (this took about 15-20 minutes - would have gone quicker if I wasn't wresting with Finn at the same time!). I won the one. So, 20 minutes of "work" to get $75.00 in stuff for free...not too shabby!
I also take the time to do daily sweeps (also have a link I'm happy to share if you're interested). This takes me about 20-30 minutes to do a day (but I enter for Amanda at the same time)...I don't do this everyday, but when I do, I tend to do fairly well. I also sign up for Freebies on different websites. For example, in the past 2 weeks I have gotten a lot of my "winnings" in the mail (or through email). Here's a run down of what I've gotten in the last 2 weeks.
- A makeup bag from Target: (includes) $25.00 coupon book, chapstick, 2 shampoo samples, 1 conditioner sample and 1 lotion sample (Freebie)
- A Pyrex pot holder (which I was excited about b/c I only have 2 - both of which were my parents and they've had as long as I can remember.) (Freebie)
- Clinque Mascara (Giveaway on FB)
- Free Halls Coupon (Sweeps)
- Free Glade Coupon (Freebie)
- $1.00 Check from Miller (beer) (Website signup)
- Lipstick Sample (Freebie)
- Sunkist Tuna Pouch Coupon (Giveaway on FB)
- Mirilax (2 doses) (Freebie)
- Dove Men's Deodorant and Bodywash (Freebie)
- Degree Women's Deodorant (Freebie)
- And a whole lot more (but I can't remember it all right now).
So all in all - I am thankful for Amanda showing me how to do this and thankful for the success I have had. I know this was a long post but I hope this encourages people to save money and get free things, as well. Even if you aren't interested in hardcore couponing, take a few minutes to explore the Giveaway, Freebies and Sweeps worlds! It's wonderful to have free things in your mailbox!